1. O thou enveloped in thy cloak,
2. Arise and warn!
3. Thy Lord magnify,
4. Thy raiment purify,
5. Pollution shun!
6. And show not favour, seeking wordly
7. For the sake of thy Lord, be patient!
8. For when the trumpet shall sound,
9. Surely that day will be a day of
10. Not of ease, for disbelievers.
11. Leave Me (to deal) with him whom
I created lonely,
12. And then bestowed upon him ample
13. And sons abiding in his presence
14. And made (life) smooth for him.
15. Yet he desireth that I should give
16. Nay! For lo! he hath been stubborn
to Our revelations.
17. On him I shall impose a fearful
18. For lo! he did consider; then he
19. (Self-)destroyed is he, how he
20. Again (self-)destroyed is he, how
he planned! -
21. Then looked he,
22. Then frowned he and showed displeasure.
23. Then turned he away in pride
24. And said: This is naught else than
magic from of old;
25. This is naught else than speech
of mortal man.
26. Him shall I fling unto the burning.
27. - Ah, what will convey unto thee
what that burning is! -
28. It leaveth naught; it spareth naught
29. It shrivelleth the man.
30. Above it are nineteen.
31. We have appointed only angels to
be wardens of the Fire, and their number have We made to be a stumbling-block
for those who disbelieve; that those to whom the Scripture hath been given may
have certainty, and that believers may increase in faith; and that those to whom
the Scripture hath been given and believers may not doubt; and that those in whose
hearts there is disease, and disbelievers, may say: What meaneth Allah by this
similitude ? Thus Allah sendeth astray whom He will, and whom He will He guideth.
None knoweth the hosts of thy Lord save Him. This is naught else than a Reminder
32. Nay, by the Moon
33. And the night when it withdraweth
34. And the dawn when it shineth forth,
35. Lo! this is one of the greatest
36. As a warning unto men,
37. Unto him of you who will advance
or hang back.
38. Every soul is a pledge for its
39. Save those who will stand on the
40. In gardens they will ask one another
41. Concerning the guilty:
42. What hath brought you to this burning
43. They will answer: We were not of
those who prayed
44. Nor did we feed the wretched.
45. We used to wade (in vain dispute)
with (all) waders,
46. And we used to deny the Day of
47. Till the Inevitable came unto us.
48. The mediation of no mediators will
avail them then.
49. Why now turn they away from the
50. As they were frightened asses
51. Fleeing from a lion ?
52. Nay, but everyone of them desireth
that he should be given open pages (from Allah).
53. Nay, verily. They fear not the
54. Nay, verily. Lo! this is an Admonishment.
55. So whosoever will may heed.
56. And they will not heed unless Allah
willeth (it). He is the fount of fear. He is the fount of Mercy.