1. Lo! We sent Noah unto his people
(saying): Warn thy people ere the painful doom come unto them.
2. He said: O my people! Lo! I am a
plain warner unto you
3. (Bidding you): Serve Allah and keep
your duty unto Him and obey me,
4. That He may forgive you somewhat
of your sins and respite you to an appointed term. Lo! the term of Allah, when
it cometh, cannot be delayed, if ye but knew.
5. He said: My Lord! Lo! I have called
unto my people night and day
6. But all my calling doth but add to
7. And lo! whenever I call unto them
that Thou mayst pardon them they thrust their fingers in their ears and cover
themselves with their garments and persist (in their refusal) and magnify themselves
8. And lo! I have called unto them aloud,
9. And lo! I have made public proclamation
unto them, and I have appealed to them in private.
10. And I have said: Seek pardon of
your Lord. Lo! He was ever Forgiving.
11. He will let loose the sky for you
in plenteous rain,
12. And will help you with wealth and
sons, and will assign unto you Gardens and will assign unto you rivers.
13. What aileth you that ye hope not
toward Allah for dignity
14. When He created you by (divers)
15. See ye not how Allah hath created
seven heavens in harmony,
16. And hath made the moon a light
therein, and made the sun a lamp ?
17. And Allah hath caused you to grow
as a growth from the earth,
18. And afterward He maketh you return
thereto, and He will bring you forth again, a (new) forthbringing.
19. And Allah hath made the earth a
wide expanse for you
20. That ye may thread the valley-ways
21. Noah said: My Lord! Lo! they have
disobeyed me and followed one whose wealth and children increase him in naught
22. And they have plotted a mighty
23. And they have said: Forsake not
your gods. Forsake not Wadd, nor Suwa', nor Yaghuth and Ya'uq and Nasr.
24. And they have led many astray,
and Thou increasest the wrong-doers in naught save error.
25. Because of their sins they were
drowned, then made to enter a Fire. And they found they had no helpers in place
26. And Noah said: My Lord! Leave not
one of the disbelievers in the land.
27. If Thou shouldst leave them, they
will mislead Thy slaves and will beget none save lewd ingrates.
28. My Lord! Forgive me and my parents
and him who entereth my house believing, and believing men and believing women,
and increase not the wrong-doers in aught save ruin.