1. Sad. By the renowned Qur'an,
2. Nay, but those who disbelieve are
in false pride and schism.
3. How many a generation We destroyed
before them, and they cried out when it was no longer the time for escape!
4. And they marvel that a warner from
among themselves hath come unto them, and the disbelievers say: This is a wizard,
5. Maketh he the gods One God ? Lo!
that is an astounding thing.
6. The chiefs among them go about, exhorting:
Go and be staunch to your gods! Lo! this is a thing designed.
7. We have not heard of this in later
religion. This is naught but an invention.
8. Hath the reminder been unto him (alone)
among us ? Nay, but they are in doubt concerning My reminder; nay but they have
not yet tasted My doom.
9. Or are theirs the treasures of the
mercy of thy Lord, the Mighty, the Bestower ?
10. Or is the kingdom of the heavens
and the earth and all that is between them theirs ? Then let them ascend by ropes!
11. A defeated host are (all) the factions
that are there.
12. The folk of Noah before them denied
(their messenger) and (so did the tribe of) A'ad, and Pharaoh firmly planted,
13. And (the tribe of) Thamud, and
the folk of Lot, and the dwellers in the wood: these were the factions.
14. Not one of them but did deny the
messengers, therefor My doom was justified,
15. These wait for but one Shout, there
will be no second thereto.
16. They say: Our Lord! Hasten on for
us our fate before the Day of Reckoning.
17. Bear with what they say, and remember
Our bondman David, lord of might, Lo! he was ever turning in repentance (toward
18. Lo! We subdued the hills to hymn
the praises (of their Lord) with him at nightfall and sunrise,
19. And the birds assembled; all were
turning unto Him.
20. We made his kingdom strong and
gave him wisdom and decisive speech.
21. And hath the story of the litigants
come unto thee ? How they climbed the wall into the royal chamber;
22. How they burst in upon David, and
he was afraid of them. They said: Be not afraid! (We are) two litigants, one of
whom hath wronged the other, therefor judge aright between us; be not unjust;
and show us the fair way.
23. Lo! this my brother hath ninety
and nine ewes while I had one ewe; and he said: Entrust it to me, and he conquered
me in speech.
24. (David) said: He hath wronged thee
in demanding thine ewe in addition to his ewes, and lo! many partners oppress
one another, save such as believe and do good works, and they are few. And David
guessed that We had tried him, and he sought forgiveness of his Lord, and he bowed
himself and fell down prostrate and repented.
25. So We forgave him that; and lo!
he had access to Our presence and a happy journey's end.
26. (And it was said unto him): O David!
Lo! We have set thee as a viceroy in the earth; therefor judge aright between
mankind, and follow not desire that it beguile thee from the way of Allah. Lo!
those who wander from the way of Allah have an awful doom, forasmuch as they forgot
the Day of Reckoning.
27. And We created not the heaven and
the earth and all that is between them in vain. That is the opinion of those who
disbelieve. And woe unto those who disbelieve, from the Fire!
28. Shall We treat those who believe
and do good works as those who spread corruption in the earth; or shall We treat
the pious as the wicked ?
29. (This is) a Scripture that We have
revealed unto thee, full of blessing, that they may ponder its revelations, and
that men of understanding may reflect.
30. And We bestowed on David, Solomon.
How excellent a slave! Lo! he was ever turning in repentance (toward Allah).
31. When there were shown to him at
eventide lightfooted coursers
32. And he said: Lo! I have preferred
the good things (of the world) to the remembrance of my Lord; till they were taken
out of sight behind the curtain.
33. (Then he said): Bring them back
to me, and fell to slashing (with his sword their) legs and necks.
34. And verily We tried Solomon, and
set upon his throne a (mere) body. Then did he repent.
35. He said: My Lord! Forgive me and
bestow on me sovereignty such as shall not belong to any after me. Lo! Thou art
36. So We made the wind subservient
unto him, setting fair by his command whithersoever he intended.
37. And the unruly, every builder and
diver (made We subservient),
38. And others linked together in chains,
39. (Saying): This is Our gift, so
bestow thou, or withhold, without reckoning.
40. And lo! he hath favour with Us,
and a happy journey's end.
41. And make mention (O Muhammad) of
Our bondman Job, when he cried unto his Lord (saying): Lo! the devil doth afflict
me with distress and torment.
42. (And it was said unto him): Strike
the ground with thy foot. This (spring) is a cool bath and a refreshing drink.
43. And We bestowed on him (again)
his household and therewith the like thereof, a mercy from Us, and a memorial
for men of understanding.
44. And (it was said unto him): Take
in thine hand a branch and smite therewith, and break not thine oath. Lo! We found
him steadfast, how excellent a slave! Lo! he was ever turning in repentance (to
45. And make mention of Our bondmen,
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, men of parts and vision.
46. Lo! We purified them with a pure
thought, remembrance of the Home (of the Hereafter).
47. Lo! in Our sight they are verily
of the elect, the excellent.
48. And make mention of Ishmael and
Elisha and Dhu'l-Kifl. All are of the chosen.
49. This is a reminder. And lo! for
those who ward off (evil) is a happy journey's end,
50. Gardens of Eden, whereof the gates
are opened for them,
51. Wherein, reclining, they call for
plenteous fruit and cool drink (that is) therein.
52. And with them are those of modest
53. This it is that ye are promised
for the Day of Reckoning.
54. Lo! this in truth is Our provision,
which will never waste away.
55. This (is for the righteous). And
lo! for the transgressors there with be an evil journey's end,
56. Hell, where they will burn, an
57. Here is a boiling and an ice-cold
draught, so let them taste it,
58. And other (torment) of the kind
in pairs (the two extremes)!
59. Here is an army rushing blindly
with you. (Those who are already in the Fire say): No word of welcome for them.
Lo! they will roast at the Fire.
60. They say: Nay, but you (misleaders),
for you there is no word of welcome. Ye prepared this for us (by your misleading).
Now hapless is the plight.
61. They say: Our Lord! Whoever did
prepare this for us, oh, give him double portion of the Fire!
62. And they say: What aileth us that
we behold not men whom we were wont to count among the wicked ?
63. Did we take them (wrongly) for
a laughing-stock, or have our eyes missed them ?
64. Lo! that is very truth: the wrangling
of the dwellers in the Fire.
65. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): I
am only a warner, and there is no God save Allah, the One, the Absolute,
66. Lord of the heavens and the earth
and all that is between them, the Mighty, the Pardoning.
67. Say: It is tremendous tidings
68. Whence ye turn away!
69. I had no knowledge of the Highest
Chiefs when they disputed;
70. It is revealed unto me only that
I may be a plain warner.
71. When thy Lord said unto the angels:
Lo! I am about to create a mortal out of mire,
72. And when I have fashioned him and
breathed into him of My Spirit, then fall down before him prostrate,
73. The angels fell down prostrate,
74. Saving Iblis; he was scornful and
became one of the disbelievers.
75. He said: O Iblis! What hindereth
thee from falling prostrate before that which I have created with both My hands
? Art thou too proud or art thou of the high exalted ?
76. He said: I am better than him.
Thou createdst me of fire, whilst him Thou didst create of clay.
77. He said: Go forth from hence, for
lo! thou art outcast,
78. And lo! My curse is on thee till
the Day of Judgment.
79. He said: My Lord! Reprieve me till
the day when they are raised.
80. He said: Lo! thou art of those
81. Until the day of the time appointed.
82. He said: Then, by Thy might, I
surely will beguile them every one,
83. Save Thy single-minded slaves among
84. He said: The Truth is, and the
Truth I speak,
85. That I shall fill hell with thee
and with such of them as follow thee, together.
86. Say (O Muhammad, unto mankind):
I ask of you no fee for this, and I am no simulating.
87. Lo! it is naught else than a reminder
for all peoples
88. And ye will come in time to know
the truth thereof.